Monday, March 15, 2010

A Little Scare

So yesterday, just as I was about to take a nap, I felt like my water broke and when I looked down on the bed it was blood. I ran to the bathroom, and made Jace go wake up Brock from his Sunday afternoon nap to get ready to go to the hospital. I have to admit, I was so so scared. I am 35 weeks, so I'm sure the baby would be just fine if I did have to deliver, but seeing blood just made me really nervous. We dropped the boys off at Brock's parent's house and were on our way. When we got there, the nurse hooked me up to the monitors, and the baby's heart rate was perfect, my blood pressure was great, and all seemed to be okay, besides the bleeding, which hadn't completely stopped, and the contractions that were about every 2 minutes. My doctor was off (of course) and the doctor on call was delivering a baby a couple of doors down, so we just had to wait. As I laid there, I couldn't help but to think of my sweet friend Talitha, who just 4 or 5 months ago lost her baby at 35 weeks. I was still pretty scared. I called a few people, including my parents who were about to leave for work (they are 14 hours ahead of us in Malaysia) just to let them know what was going on. I couldn't help but think that just the day before I had finally given in and gone shopping for this little one (a stroller, new diaper genie, lots of the cutest clothes you've ever seen...etc) and I had jinxed myself. I realized that other than that shopping, we have done NOTHING for this little one. We don't even have a name! The nursery is still blue, oh, and there is still a little boy living in it. We haven't moved Nixon to Jace's room. We haven't even gotten the baby car seat out, the pack and play that she will be in for the first little while, nothing. I started to get kind of stressed. This is all probably why I was having contractions when I got there. Anyway, the doctor came in after about an hour and a half and checked me. I am dilated to a 2, but only about 30 or 40% effaced, so he wasn't too worried. He said that because of my low-lying placenta, bleeding is pretty normal. I should go in if I bleed again, just to make sure everything is okay, but he wasn't too worried. He made me stay another half hour to make sure the contractions didn't come back, and said to take it easy (whatever that means) for the next couple of days until I could talk to my doctor. I have been feeling a little crampy, and some pressure today, but I think everything is good for now. I will talk to my doctor at my appointment tomorrow and see what she thinks. I had Brock give me a blessing yesterday, and I have just seen such an outpouring of kindness and generosity already. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both offered to watch the boys today, Julia called to see if she could do anything, one neighbor called to see if she could take the boys or bring us dinner, while another called to see if we needed lunch, and another asked if she could watch the boys. I am just so grateful to be surrounded by such wonderful people. I know that everything is going to be okay, and while I hope this little girl stays put for at least a couple more weeks, I feel comfort in knowing that if she does make her appearance earlier than that, everything will be okay. Thanks to everyone who has offered help, or kind words, and I will keep you posted!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

That is a little scary Jennie! I am really glad to hear that everything is okay. Please keep in mind that I am close by and will absolutely help in anyway I can. Try to stay rested and good luck!

Audrey said...

I LOVE to paint! You shouldn't be doing that kind of thing anyway, so let me know when and how you want the nursery painted, and I'll be there!!

the watkins said...

That is scary. I am sooo glad she is still "baking" and everything looks alright. Let me know if I can do anything. And though I am sure you know (experienced mother, soon to be of 3) you don't really need much those first few weeks :)

Valerie said...

Jen I am so glad you are ok. I would have also been terrified to see blood, it's just a scary thing to see at this time on pregnancy. I am so glad your contractions stopped too. Don't stress about getting things done, you can always get stuff done once she is here, it may not be as easy, but it will be better once she is here and safe and healthy.I am so excited for you to have her, I can't wait...especially because I won't be far behind you...thank goodness our pregnancies are almost done huh (now I need to go rest my back ha ha ha)

The Pennington's said...

Glad you are doing better! :)

Amber said...

Ahh! How scary! I'm glad that little girl looked fine and you got checked out AND that she seems to be staying put for the time being.
Just in case she comes sooner rather than later, I've seen lots of 35 weekers--and they do great. They are teeny little dolls and need usually 2-3 weeks to grow in the hospital, but it doesn't take them long to figure out breathing and eating and getting home.
I hope you can relax and that both you and that little girl stay healthy and happy!