Thursday, June 26, 2008

What a Blast!

I just rolled in after a short trip to Vegas, and a long drive back. Tuesday morning around 9:00, Nixon and I left to go pick up my dad. We got his stuff and left to go pick up Jenn Phillips. We gassed up the car and headed out to St. George around 10:00. We arrived after a very easy trip (thank you Jenn for sitting in the back with Nixon and keeping him company!) and chatted with Nolan and Treo, and got to see their sweet 9 day old Jaylee. We went to the Pizza Factory (a must in St. George right?) for dinner and then headed out around 7:30 to make the rest of the drive to Las Vegas. We checked in to the hotel and then my dad went to the airport to pick up Julia and her friend Paige. We pretty much just went to bed that night.
Wednesday morning was the day of the show and we were to be at Caesar's Palace by 6:30 AM, but it was first come first serve so we decided to leave at 5:00 AM. When we got there we were kind of nervous because there were so many people already there. We were hoping we would make it in. We ended up being about 200 out of 375 people they let in, and we felt so bad for the 150 or so people that didn't get in. Especially the next people in line, suckers. Anyway, we were walking in, just following the people in front of us, when someone who worked for the show asked me how many people in my group. I told her four, and she said, "Follow me." When she started walking us to the front of the whole audience we started getting excited. She said, "We want you four to be in the shot when Jessica Simpson is singing. Inside I was like WOO HOO! But I acted cool, like, oh, of course you do. We took our seats in the VIP area, but unfortunately they only had 3 seats together and one alone. Paige generously took the seat 3 rows from the front in the center aisle, while the 3 of us sat a few rows behind her. Julia was a little upset because there was a huge camera set up right in front of her, she thought, this is going to be bad. Then, the camera man stood up right in front of her, and only made it worse. Luckily, after the first segment he completely moved out of her way. Just in time for Jessica to come out. It was so fun to see all of them in person. Then, after they talked to her, they went to commercial and moved us to the front and center while she sang. We never saw a camera get us, but it was so awesome to be 5 feet from her while she sang her new country song "Come on Over"which is what you're hearing right now. Then we got to see a little piece from "O" one of the shows there, and then Rita Rudner, a comedian with a show in Vegas. It was so much fun. Then, after the show, a bunch of ladies came up to me and said, "Okay, what are you, Jessica's sister, her cousin?" I told them neither, and they were shocked. They thought I looked a lot like her, and they figured that that was why we were getting such good treatment! It was awesome.
We went back to our hotel, where Nixon had finally fallen asleep after refusing to take the bottle and giving my poor dad a hard time. I felt so bad. We got to see the show on TV, and all we ever saw was the back of ourselves. Oh well, it was so much fun. Then we went to the pool for about an hour, and decided it was just too hot to even do that. I am so glad I don't live there. We went back, showered, and were going to go shopping, but fell asleep. Remember, we had been up since 4 AM! We met up with my cousin Candice, who is going to dental school there, and went to the Cheesecake Factory. I know, I know, we have one now, but I still love it. We were going to stay and go shopping at Fashion Show Mall, but again, we were all sooooo tired. We just headed back and went to bed. Then all the girls had to get up early again to leave by 6 to get to the airport while Nixon and I slept in. My dad and I headed out at about 10:00 and went to St. George again to see the kids. We went to lunch with Nolan and then headed home.
I just need to take a second to tell all of you what an amazing dad I have. He dropped everything (and for a retired person, there was a lot to drop!) and drove out with me just so I could have a babysitter while I was at the show. I am so lucky to have such a great dad. I am sure Nixon wasn't too much fun, since he wouldn't take the bottle, and what guy wants to go to Vegas on a girl's trip, and listen to us for 3 days straight?! Thank you so much dad. I love you more than you know.

4 comments:

Jill and Paul said...

What a fun trip! great pics! oh, my, GOSH...treo IS SO tiny!! how did she do that! that cant be her baby! amazing. looks like so much fun. i love vegas. there is so much talent there! im happy for you that you got to go! what a sweet daddy!

The Bonham Family said...

How much fun is that! What a great daddy to help out. Congrats to Nolan on being a new daddy! Im sure he will be amazing. Your little boy is growing up quick!

Lindsey Harman said...

That sounded like so much fun! Too bad it didn't work out to come. Maybe next time! I watched on TV hoping to see you! What a sweet papa!

the watkins said...

That sounds like a fun, exhausting trip! Nixon looks very cute, and Nolan's baby is so tiny!