Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Malaysia Day 3

Julia's Birthday, Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary

On Saturday, March 5th my dad took us to a really cool Elephant Sanctuary. We saw a movie about elephants that didn't really have anything to do with the sanctuary, and had us all kind of feeling bad for the poor things.


Here we are at the entrance. Notice the white skin, as mentioned before :) We kind of waited around a lot that day. It was hot and humid, and glorious compared to Utah's freezing winter weather!


Me and my dad



We liked this sign. There were a lot of women covered from head to toe only showing their faces. They probably thought Julia and I, in our shorts and tank tops were scandalous!





The first thing we got to do, was feed the baby elephants some peanuts. Here's Julia


And me. It was kind of freaky holding a tiny little peanut in my hand. Their trunks were all wet when they took it, and I thought it was yucky snottiness. Hence the face.


Notice my wide-spread fingers. I guess I didn't want it to bite me?

Then out came the mommas. These ones were huge! Still scary though to feed it a big chunk of watermelon.



Then we got to ride one! It was really cool. Their backs are very tough and hairy, and the hairs are thick and very coarse. I guess we should have had pants on after all! I've got to be honest, I was envisioning our episode of "When Animals Attack!" the whole time I was riding it!




Then the big thing walked into the water and dumped us all off! Julia was trying so hard not to let any water in her mouth! I don't know why, it's so crystal clear!



Then, there were some babies playing in the water, so we went to pet one.


It was a really cool experience, and one I'll never forget. Thanks Dad! Happy Birthday Jules!


We went back to mom and dad's and had dinner and played games with some of their other friends. Good times. Again, I was struggling to stay awake at 6:00 at night!

1 comment:

Joey and Nettifer said...

sHUT UP! yOU GOT TO DO THAT WITH THE ELEPHANT!!! You are so cool!